Wednesday, March 2, 2011

 

Mentone

As I sit here and cry I ponder whether this post would be better as a journal entry.  I can’t even begin to explain how hard it is to drive down Capri Avenue every day.  Some days I literally breakdown in tears.  Friends may know that we would love to get out of our house, but also know how grateful we are to have a roof over our heads that we can afford.  Yet some days the grace takes a backseat to my tears and cries of, “WHY?”

Just before arriving home today, these following events happened to me:

1) tailgated by a shady all black vehicle, who then flipped me off, when I pulled into the suicide lane to turn.

2). While out for my run, a car drove by and threw, yes, let me repeat, THREW an In’n Out cup at me. Yes, it still had some liquids in it, and yes, it hit me.  Again, bursting into tears and screaming inside, “WHY)

3) Passed on the left hand side on a side street right before a stop sign and then the car proceeded to just sit at the stop sign. 

Other Mentone crazies:

4) Neighbor beats his girlfriend, and has been arrested for it numerous times.  I have gotten to the point that when I hear people scream anywhere I tense and have to say a small prayer to try calm my nerves.

5) I’ve had to call the sheriff 5 times in the 5 years we have lived in this (insert word of choice here).

6) I’ve been whistled and called numerous names that I wouldn’t dare repeat when I run down Capri Ave. 

7)  The same kids that whistle and call names have also chased me with their remote control car.

8) I do NOT feel safe with my kids in the front yard, even with the gate shut.

I can’t do this anymore….WHY?

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Capri is not the best of streets but not all of Mentone is like that. We have had a few bad experience with people on those streets. I am sorry you have had to experience those things. I wonder how those people would feel if those things were happen to their wives/women in their life. They should not happen to anyone!

Ed / Julie said...

Oh, hon. I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how that must be. Prayers and {{hugs}}

Jessica said...

Sorry... that sounds miserable :( Living in an area you hate is no fun.

We used to live in a part of San Bernardino that kept getting worse and worse(we moved when I was a junior in high school) . We had someone break into our house while we were sleeping, a drive by across the street, the windows in our van broken while it was parked in our driveway, and my favorite was when we walked out side to walk to the bus stop and a swat team was across the street doing a raid on a drug house. Thankfully we were finally able to move to a better location.

Hang in there!

Mike and Rebecca said...

Oh Susanne,
You'll get your dream house some day... in the meantime I'll be praying for you, for patience, for hope, and for grace.

Brigitte said...

Asking the God start the process in a new home for you soon! Maybe He has it already in mind! Hang in there my friend.

Charlee said...

I visited your blog from Jess's that is so sad that areas of Mentone have gotten that bad. I had a friend who lived there when we were young and it was a nice area.

I will pray that your families example will rub off and that a dream house or a great opportunity open up for you and the family.