Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Time management

I would say I'm definitely type "A" personality.  I enjoy making a "To Do list" and take pride in crossing items off the list.  Love the feeling of a productive day.  Though lately I have felt anything but productive, I would say more scatter brained.  Yes, that sums it up well.

So I am trying to figure out why I feel like I am getting so little done each day....let's look at a typical week day schedule:

6:15am     Rise to either the alarm or Carter climbing into bed to snuggle (LOVE)
6:25am     Shower
6:55am     Wake Josh up
7:10am     Eat breakfast w/ the family
7:20am     Making lunches
7:30am     Get Carter and myself dressed and ready.
7:45am     Head out the door
7:45-8:10am SIT IN TRAFFIC-fun times!
8:15am    Drop Carter off
8:30am    Arrive at work
WORK
4:00pm    Leave to go get Carter
4:30pm    Go to RCS for Josh (though some days Mike is off early enough to do this)
4:45pm    Head for home or grocery store
5:10pm    Arrive at home if no grocery stop, otherwise arrive home at 5:45pm
5:15pm    Help Josh get set up to start on his homework
5:20pm     Prep dinner
5:30-6pm  Eat dinner
6-6:45pm  Play w/ the kiddos -all about the kids time, review homework, spelling words, etc...
6:45-7:15  Bath/Shower time
7:00pm     Start a load of laundry....seems there is always at least one load of laundry ea/day.
7:15pm    Clean up the kitchen while boys pick up their room.
7:30pm    Read books with the boys.
7:45pm    Lights out:pray & sing bedtime song (aka. Calvin Alma Mater...yes, we are training them well)
8:00pm    Hugs and kisses good night.
8:05pm    Rotate laundry
8:10-30pm    General house pick up/paperwork catch-up
8:30pm    About the time I plop on the couch and catch up on emails.
9:00pm    Hubby sits down and we start a show from the DVR
10:00pm   I'm off to bed....I can't keep my eyes open past 10 most nights, some nights even 9:30pm.

This is just our schedule when Mike isn't coaching/officiating, and Josh isn't in sports.  A typical week when Mike and Josh have sports include us just not getting home on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday till either 6:30 or 7pm.  That gives me an hour to get dinner, homework, and baths completed....no play time (I miss my kids terribly these weeks).

My favorite thing about the long Thanksgiving weekend was that we put nothing on our schedule and stayed home as a family....NO SCHEDULE.  These are the moments that refuel us and keep us focused on the importance of each other.  I feel so tremendously blessed to have such a great job and such loving places for my kids to go to when I am not able to be with them.  As much as I would love to have more time with them I know that I am very purposeful and diligent in making the most of the time we do have together.  I love my family and feel tremendously thankful for our full schedule...no matter how little of my projects I get completed or crossed off my "To Do List". 

That's not to say that I wish I could get more done both with the kids and with my craft projects.    Where does all the time in a day go? Ugh!





No comments: