Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lent follow-up

Happy Blessed Easter!  He has Risen, he has Risen!!! 
In a previous post I had mentioned that I was going to try and either emit carbs or keep to a low-carb intake for Lent and I did. I did a great job, though it seemed that after reading many, many, so so many labels I noticed that I was more or less avoiding gluten, rather than carbs.  I can honestly say I kept my carbs pretty minimal, but carbs are in EVERTHING, and needless to say, your body needs them. Sooo HiHo HiHo, it's gluten-free I go!!! Like any change, it took some adjusting to, but I have really enjoyed life with out breads, chips, rice, wheat, potatoes, etc... There are a few things that I could not give up; like salad dressing (sorry, this momma needs salad dressing; does it help that i make my own?!), a pita chip here and there, BBQ sauce on my burger, but that's all I can think of.  There are so many options now in our grocery stores for gluten free foods that they make the adjustment pretty simple.  I have really enjoyed the fact that most online recipe sites feature a gluten-free section, and the recipes are really good.

I didn't lose the weight I was hoping, but I'm okay with that...I think!  The biggest change for me is that each and every day I feel GREAT.  Before, my body varied day to day, from one day feeling bloated, next feeling lethargic, then tired, and blah, and maybe, just maybe one day during the week I would wake up feeling good.  This is a different feeling than say, feeling rested.  I still don't know what that feeling is, but I'm okay with that.  I love the feeling that my body seems to be working properly and functioning smoothly.   I have more energy and feel better on my running days even. It's great! 

It's been so great that I'm sticking with it! 


1 comment:

Ed / Julie said...

Good for you! I'm glad there has been a noticeable difference for you! I gave up Coke and craved it every single day of Lent. I drank it on Easter and it was still awesome. I was so bummed. I wanted it to taste awful so that I wouldn't drink it anymore.