Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent

 

There has been a lot of chatter on Facebook about what families &/or individuals are giving up for Lent.  We as a family have never done anything.  Not because we don’t want to, but because we can never come up with something that both Michael and I can agree on.  I would absolutely love to give up cable.  Michael, no so much!  In his defense, I should be condemned for even suggesting no cable during MARCH MADNESS! Seriously woman, what are you thinking?!  Okay, so that’s out the door with a big slam. How about something else then?  Michael just kind of stares at me….guessing he’s not over my original suggestion!

Sooo.  I guess I’m on my own.  Hmm, what to do?  A few years back I gave up coffee.  I could, but I only drink one cup and it’s half caf.  That’s not enough.  Got it…gluten free or as I’ll call it, carb free!

Carbs and I have a love/hate relationship.  I have often considered going carb/gluten free to see how much weight I could lose, but never had the will power to do it. I do now!  I’ve committed this Lent to go carb free.  So far, it’s been three days and I feel great (a tad hungry), and down 3 lbs.  I love being conscience of this sacrifice and remembering the true meaning behind Lent every time I look at a cracker, or tortilla (boys had burritos for dinner last night). 

This weekend will be the real challenge as I travel to Thousand Pines in Crestline for our High School Youth Group Retreat where I have zero control over the meals…wish me luck!

Maybe next year I can motivate Michael and the boys to come up with something as a family. 

 

3 comments:

Ed / Julie said...

Good for you! I'm giving up Coke. The first two days were easy. Today...not so much. But that's the point, right? We're also doing a Lenten Cross, much like the Jesse Tree at Christmas. I'll email you the link.

Brigitte said...

Hmmm gluten has been on the out list here for a while. There are so many great cookbooks out there now and we have this awesome gluten free market in town. Great ideas. I am swearing of "white sugar." Hard because it is literally in EVERYTHING! Good luck and keep posting so we can encourage each other on!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing what you're doing for Lent! I'll be curious to hear how gluten free goes for you.